At Onduline, we have always been committed to sustainable practices. Our team of roofing experts not only offer innovative solutions to protect people from any weather, but we also return the favour to the environment with sustainable products and processes.
We pay very close attention to our manufacturing processes that are designed to be low in energy consumption with zero dangerous waste.
We use high-tech recycling processes and as such, we recycle a staggering 80,000 tons of material each year.
These first-class initiatives have enabled us to reach a positive carbon footprint of 4066g CO²/m². We are significantly lower than any other roofing solutions provider, as independently verified by Pur Project - a specialist organisation focusing on environmental issues, with particular focus on the fight against deforestation.
We have always provided asbestos free lightweight roofing solutions, that are easily transported and installed.
Due to its lightweight structure, we use less energy in production and transportation… Not to mention the added acoustical benefits and quality thermal comfort for end-users.
In summary, Onduline’s sustainable practices mean:
- We have a very low carbon footprint of 4066g CO²/m²*
- We have very low energy consumption during manufacture (4 kwh per m²).
- The high-performance treatments systems used during production means we emit no gas effluents or liquid waste
- Approximately 50% of the Onduline sheet is made from recycled cellulose fibres
- We only use natural environmentally friendly pigments to colour our sheets
- All of the Onduline factories are certified to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001
- Our products do not contain any SVHC nor do they release any hazardous substances
- Our lightweight roofing solutions mean efficient transportation and less waste on site
- The wooden delivery pallets are 100% recyclable and our LDPE plastic packaging is recyclable with most local authorities. These extra measures show we care about every element of the supply chain.
* According to PUR Project
Don’t just take our word for it, Onduline’s achievements have been confirmed by facts and recognised by reliable third-party organisations:
- Onduline’s carbon footprint - 4066 g CO²/m²
Pur Projet, March 2011
Our products are least emissive products, comparing to other roofing solutions.
- Recycled content (VAR 1016)
ICC-ES, June 2011
- Environmental Product Declaration (EPD)
IBU (Institut Bau und Umwelt) / PE International, February 2013
We are the first company who applied for an EPD for our bitumen corrugated product family. We thus created a Product Category Rule for Roofing and Wall Cladding (PCR) that was accepted in July 2012 by German Institute IBU. This PCR will be the basis for all future EPD’s for all suppliers.
EPD provides quantified and required data to monitor life circle assessment (LCA) impact.
Recycled content and EPD provide elements for LEED certifications or green standards for sustainable green building operations.